CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Those who can write......and those who can't

NOTE* Don't read this if you are easily offended, or if you think you are a good writer and really aren't...

It seems for this class assignment that everyone says "Oh I will just write a story, I am a good writer." Now let me clear something up for you. Most of you are not very good writers at all. I am not trying to be rude but it seems as if no one is willing to take the point of the critic. If everyone in this class were to start stories and everyone was to comment on each others I bet there would be no negative statement. That is just stupid. There are only a handful in this class that can write worth a hoot, and at that only maybe one or two of the handful can write well. I am not trying to discourage you guys from writing because my bet is that those that can worth a hoot have written a lot. So continue writing, but come on people, step up to the plate and tell someone when they fail. If you were to have a cooking class and everyone made cookies and everyone tried each others. Those that made hard, over baked, cookies should be told so, or they will never learn. Those that mix the sugar measurement with the salt measurement, (I had a kid in my cooking class do that 0_o) should be told what they did horribly wrong. So if you do write, continue to to get better, however don't expect that all your writing is worthy of only positive feedback. I am just sick of those who only think they can write well compared to those who can. Please those writing a story don't take offense, continue to write, you will get better than me! I suck at writing, so should I write something I expect negative feedback. My only plea is don't think I am bashing you, but don't think your writing is awesome...

Another thought, for those commenting on writing they know is bad and saying is good. Step up to the plate or you will strike out. It is impossible to go through life making everybody happy. Thoughts should be expressed, feeling are meant to be hurt, if are feelings were never hurt we would never mature. Like our skin. It gets tougher the more it gets cut, or pulled, stretched, or in anyway had force exerted upon it. The more cuts, the more scar tissue. If our skin was never touched, we would be extremely harmed the first time it did. This applies to feelings too. If we are always tiptoed around then the one day someone steps on our feet we will cry mercy. Which is no way to become an adult and functioning person of society.

Bottom line- Life is gonna beat you down, kick you in the mouth, pull you back up only so they can punch you again, kick you in the stomach, and finally if you haven't died yet, tie you to the back of a sports car and have it race off. Life SUCKS, get over it. You won't make it through life happy the entire time, or without ridicule. Someone somewhere will say the truth. And it will hurt. Or if no one tells you the truth you will never be free. If you make cookies and everyone says they are perfect, but really they taste like crap, you will make them again. And AGAIN! No one wants to hurt you so now you have no idea. But if someone tells you after a year of making them every week you are gonna cry and want to shout and feel horrible.

The WAY bottom line- The truth must be told.

Sorry if it offends you, but oh well for you. Life is hard, get a helmet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a good point, and it is really annoying when someone thinks that they can write and they can't so that you almost fall asleep reading it, but for some people it may be their stress outlet. I like to write, but I may not be good at it, I just enjoy it. I have a really hard time with commas, I think sentences should just go on and on and on. Criticism is hard,but some times you need to hear it. I enjoyed this blog, keep it up.

Brain said...

I apply what I learn. What you are talking about is more commonly called "constructive criticism". Also, you neglected to mention that it is OK to tell someone there writing needs work. It's also good to tell someone what is good about their writing else you could be viewed as a mean, obnoxious and totally uncaring individual. Lastly, life will knock you down, so knock it back. It's fine to go through life fighting to get better, so don't LET life (or anyone else) knock you down and ruin your dream.

Lots of Keys said...

Like pippin, I enjoy writing. I might not be the best, or even very good at it. Doesn't stop me for trying though. Most things wouldn't stop me from trying something new if I got the chance. Something that wouldn't be stupid to do or something like that. (DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Kar Kar said...

I agree and disagree with you. Though that is expected, right? What we need more of is constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is supposed to harsh, and you are supposed to take it to heart. I know this mostly because of art. It makes you improve if you want to improve. If you don't want to improve, then don't listen and you simply won't improve. I find it quite annoying when NO ONE criticizes my stuff. However that doesn't mean bash it down to ever little piece. That would be called uncalled for or hate or whatever you want to call it. Also, that makes me extremely hypocritical because I am one of those people that go around saying "Oh! That is such a great story! I really enjoyed it! Keep writing!", While I'm really thinking "Wow. That sucked. You need to use dictionaries, thesauruses, spell check, grammar check. You don't even have enough to write a story. It’s not interesting." Though I would never say that, I would turn it into constructive criticism. :D And because of your blog, I will work on that now.

Panda Girl said...

I also agree and disagree with you. If something I do totally sucks, I want people to tell me, so I can make it better. I don't want them to completely tear me up either though. But also, sometimes it's nice just to give a little compliment along with the criticism, so it doesn't seem too harsh.

kiwi 23 said...

Ah Thomas...I had almost forgotten about how straightforward and blunt you were until I read this :~D